Friday, July 19, 2013

Look at All Those Happy Creatures Dancin' on the Lawn

In spite of everything, today was closing day on the house and it went off without a hitch. My lender couldn't make it but that seems to be normal for local closings. I will talk to her later....she is the person who informed me that I was dead according to all three credit reporting bureaus -- thanks to Capital One. I had to prove that I was alive to several ladies in India...not an easy task. But that's and old story.

The closing was at the title company, which is located in a Den of Thieves. This was a ghetto made up of title companies, mortgage lenders, lawyers' offices and real estate agents....all off of a single parking lot. Must be a zoning thing. Everyone was nice. My agent was there, The sellers did their thing in Georgia and faxed everything from there.  I signed about a bazillion papers and...surprise...it all made sense...and now I have a house.

After closing I went to the nearby Verizon store to see about my dead phone. Not good news. It would cost me a fortune to get new phone and I'm all out of fortunes. The guy told me to go to Contact Cellular and buy a refurbished phone and then bring it back to Verizon and they would set it up. The guy at Contact Cellular didn't have a phone like mine. He suggested that I set my dead one on the dashboard of my car and let the sun bake it until it dried out and then maybe it would come back to life.  Well, OK, I tried that...figuring either It would dry out or somebody would steal it. After several hours on the dashboard it now gives me a solid white screen and nothing else. I think it's fried.   I will try something tomorrow.  Hold your calls, please.

I went to Walmart and stocked up on fish food, hummingbird nectar and bird seed along with some regular household stuff. It was threatening to rain when I came out so I headed back to my new house and settled in.

Ike and Tina
The wildlife was waiting so I filled up all of the feeders. Then my two rabbits showed up...what??? no rabbit food???.  They are almost tame and will come up very close as long as you don't make any startled moves. They ate birdseed the birds carelessly threw away. Everyone seems glad to see me. It wasn't too long before  family of quail paraded by...literally...in a single file line own to get some water from the pond. These quail have that big feather top-notch -- like they are wearing a hat.  I feel like Marlin Perkins.



Rod came by and officially welcomed me. He had his dog, Molly, who he rescued off the Interstate. She is a cutey. Watson out weighs her. This is the second dog Rod has rescued..he has a big heart. By then it was raining steady but not hard. Rod pointed out that I have a Fig tree in the yard. Will wonders never cease?


I had an argument with the automatic gate. It works on a remote clicker...opens and closes. It also makes an irritating  alarm sound so I discovered that one of my two clickers makes it go crazy and the alarm won't shut off. I'm already a novelty in the neighborhood and now my alarm is going nuts. I finally had to go turn off the power to the opener and it sort of rebooted. That clicker is going into a drawer somewhere.

Supper was stir fry - pork and peppers, squash and onions. Not bad for my first supper here. I ate out on the front porch  (a "portal" in local vernacular) surrounded by three rabbits....my adoring fans. I decided the pond needed water and accidentally over filled it...Rod will tell me about it tomorrow.

 The rabbits are back as I write this. The goldfinches have decided I'm harmless and are coming back to the feeder.  They have had the run of the place for a few weeks so they weren't expecting me to show up and they have Rod feeding them carrots.

Later -- Since I have no Internet at home I'm posting this from my friendly McDonald's....me an six 13-year-old girls.  Oh the humanity!!!


No comments: